Great DOF! Lovely POV!

As I am visiting quite a number of photoblogs daily, and peppering them with my comments, I felt a comment on the “back-slapping phenomenon” was due in these pages. Jessy alerted me to a real crap photo the other day on Chris Kern’s website. look at it and you’ll see what I mean. A photoblog seems to attract a lot of self-seeking people, and even terrible photos are complimented in a sort of ‘quid pro quo’ manner, with inane remarks on how the “Depth of Field is great”, or the “Point of View is lovely”, or the “composition is unique”!. Well I say let’s put an end to this. If it’s a crap photo, then call it a crap photo!

/  2 September, 2005

I introduced Naz this! Naz with his level of intelligence doesn’t have the ability to spot things like that!

/  2 September, 2005

Sometimes people don’t say what they eyes see. All their eyes can see is “quid pro quo”, “Depth of Field is great”, “Point of View is lovely”, “composition is unique” and which one to put in the comment depends on how good the relationship between the person who post it and the person who comment on it is.
    My photoblog has comments totally irrelevant to my art works, which means I don’t have a close and kind relationship between me and my audience.
    However to be fair to Chris Kern, his previous works are all very OK and some of the flower pictures are very good indeed. As it mentioned on the post, he was busy and he still kept posting. I think that is very good.
    The funniest people in this case would be the one who comment the picture as “Nice contrast with the towers of Canary Wharf in the distance” and of course the owner of this weblog.

/  3 September, 2005

You can call it a crap photo, but you have to give constructive comments. Something like “it’s blurry” etc. What is wrong with it? A few things on the particular one, but it is useful to study a failure constructively in order to avoid it in the future.

Let’s call Mike N.

/  3 September, 2005

I don’t see anything we can study from that particular one apart from not putting too bad picture on for people to joke about.
    I am sure Naz’s AM pictures can provide better material for us to learn from failure or what not to do when taking photography, i.e. not aggressive following a girl with a dog for too long time and lying to everyone including himself that the intention was on the cute dog only not the pretty young girl!

5. I: Mike N? Jessy: lol. First lesson: This is what you should NOT do! btw, it was a duck, not a dog. What pretty young girl? Where? 🙂

6. The thing about photography, Naz, is that it’s like art. Those people lacking in talent can always call it `surrealist` and just blame the viewer for not getting it. In the case of this totally crap picture, the culprit may say something like “This is my interpretation of how America is degenerating into wasteland in today’s world of crime.” Bullshit: It’s what Rach does best. 🙂

/  5 September, 2005

Rachey, have you seen “THE PICTURE”. there is a link up there. I cannot stop laughing everytime I look at it!

/  5 September, 2005

and of course the comments before Naz and Naz’s!